Madhusudan Naidu recounts the teaching given to him by Swami on the importance of Guru-Bhakti

Madhusudan Naidu is directed by Swami to arrange His room and see to His care based on certain specifications. While carrying out Swami's directions Naidu is perturbed by the question as to why Swami, being the embodiment of selflessness needs such things. This confusion is allayed by Swami who senses his mind and responds by stating that the entire exercise was to teach the student the importance of devotion and obedience to the guru. Respect in carrying out the directions of the guru through action is as important as the respect in thought. On this occasion, the student grasps the teaching.

When I was setting up Swami’s room in my home, Swami asked me to arrange the entire place according to His instructions which were very, very specific.

His silver cup with water, the chair with cushions, kerchiefs, carpets and curtains, lamps, dining table and chair, bed and pillows, and a small dressing cum wardrobe, all were placed according to His directions.
Madhusudan Naidu Muddenahalli



I had almost finished doing up His room when He asked me to replace the cushion at His feet with another softer one. I promptly carried out His command.

Just when I was done, a thought crossed my mind as to why does Swami need all this; I mean, He is so detached and says that He does not need anything for Himself as He is selflessness from top of the head to the tip of the toes, then why is He asking for things like these!
Of course, back then I was too green and raw to understand anything of His doings (which I still can’t).
But, Swami who seemed to have read my mind clarified, “Oh! You are thinking as to why I am asking for this and that, so specifically when I am supposed to be detached from everything? Dear one, it’s not that I need these things, especially now when I do not even have a body, but I am only teaching you as to how you should honour your Guru, by serving Him perfectly.”
Madhusudan Naidu Muddenahalli

This was a totally new perspective to me, who had never thought about it from this angle. It’s not enough if we have respect for the Guru in our thoughts and words but it must show in our deeds too, I learnt. Here is our compassionate Guru, our God who has to teach us how to serve and honour Him, right from His boyhood days when He taught Bhajans to devotees and even performed Arati to His own photos, to teach them how to do it perfectly!

Madhusudan Naidu
Madhusudan Naidu Muddenahalli














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madhusudan Naidu shares an incident where Swami's trust in His devotees is made evident.

Madhusudan Naidu narrates an instance which shows Swami's joy regarding the 'Children for Sai.'

Madhusudan Naidu takes us to an incident where Swami reveals the benefits of offerings.